Thursday, September 28, 2006


This figure on my Flickr badge at the moment and may rouse some curiosity. I did it a couple of years ago when I was experimenting with printing techniques. I had made the drawing from a fashion magazine photograph and then made a plate from the drawing. Drawing at a second remove as it were.The image shown here is on a piece of paper already imprinted with the pattern of annular rings that were taken from a transected tree trunk in much the same way as brass rubbings are made. This print, - no bigger than a postcard, - is the result.
The print has sat pasted to a wall in the corner of my studio since then and only recently grabbed my attention as I was taking it down from the wall. We at Luneside are in the process of clearing up. A Compulsory Purchase Order is now in force on the property we occupy so we will have to find a new home. Lancaster appears to be a city being taken over by developers. I suppose that is true for a number of places.
One positive thing I suppose, to this enforced move, is it gives us the chance to look at some archive material, some of which can be surprisingly good but some is best left forgotten. Other artists who read this blog will know exactly what I mean.

No comments: