Saturday, September 02, 2006


The sea at Tintagel in Cornwall.An almost overhead view seeing I was on top of a 600 foot cliff at the time. It is an intersting viewpoint nonetheless. From this height one can see the general ebb and flow of the sea and the patterns the waves make. Its "seeing the bigger picture" as it were.
Before i went to Tintagel I prepainted some of the pages in my sketchbook; I do and abstract wash then sprinkle salt on it while the page is still wet. The salt mops up some of the pigment and when dry, leaves a random pattern and some rough texture on the paper. I then draw over this later on. The only concsious decision is to draw the sea on a blue page. This image is A4 size.

2 comments:

ming said...

i'm working up to doing a big painting of a seascape from a similar vantage point, you're study will benifit me:) thank you.

i'll link you to our blog,

http://30dayartist.com

The Draughtsman said...

Thanks for your comment, Ming. This last year I have been concentrating on aspects of the sea, the beach and estuary marshes. This after four or five years looking at sitka forests. Time to move on.....
I may well look at marine aspects along the way, boats, ships and the like. Who knows?