Tuesday, September 12, 2006

From earlier sketchbooks.......
This one from a small pocket book of 2004. Spread over the two pages, each page A6 size (10.5 x 15 cms). I often keep such a book by me to draw whatever is there. Sometimes it is fleeting imges seen as a passenger in a car or bus, sometimes as shown here, my own backyard, - literally.
None of these are meant to be finished drawings. They are examples of me keeping up the practice. Drawing in this manner needs to be constantly practised otherwise the quality suffers. It is not so much the technical ability to make marks on the paper as the ability to observe things and to record these observations.
The notes on these pieces read, on the left hand page, "Blue flowers in my back yard, 25 apr 04" and on the right hand page, "Backyard 25 April04 - sunny Sunday am." Next to that is a collection of words set out in the style of a haiku.
"Sunday papers
Coffee
Sunshine
Happens sometimes."

Says it all really I s'pose.

No comments: