Friday, August 11, 2006

Spithope Three, the right hand panel of the triptych. Now purists may well argue this is a painting, not a drawing and in one sense they would be right. However if you ever get to see the original in my studio in Lancaster it would quickly become apparent this really is a drawing. I think I mentioned in the posting showing the triptych in its entirety that I laid down some water colour first then drew on top of it. The application of water colour approximated where things are but the subsequent layering up using drawing media set the thing a bit more accurately. What in fact I did do was draw in exactly the same way as the centre panel but onto a pretinted paper.
So the entire work shows a progression reading from left to right from a pure line drawing through to an elaborate fully developed image. We could use a musical analogy here; imagine a theme played initially on a solo piano, then by a string quartet and finally by a small orchestra. (I shall leave full blown symphony orchestras for large paintings!) .

No comments: