Monday, September 18, 2017

What was on that Drawing Board



I posted just over a week ago that I would post what can barely be glimpsed in the picture. O.K., -  bog standard excuse I know, but its been a busy week. Actually I'm somewhat indisposed just now which gives me  more time to be on this rather ancient and consequently slow PC and post an update or two.

So what we have here is the completed line drawing subsequently inked over of "Brahms' German Requiem - Part 1". The actual composition consists of nine parts and my plan is only do two of them before moving on. They are "Selig Sind" (Blessed are they) and "Denn alle Fleisch ist wie Gras und Blümen" (All flesh is like grass and flowers). The theme [Selig sind] looks at those who traverse from darkness, shown here as dense overgrown forest, and through the central area where it thins out to  the open ground beyond, though the mist shrouded ruin might well suggest remaining uncertainty. But really I leave the interpretation  to you.


Selig sind die da Leid tragen or blessed are they that bear sorrow, a loose translation from the original German, is the title of the finished piece. It is supposed to have a stave of the music beneath it. I will add that later.
As with all of this series, a selected area, in this case the central part, is in full colour fading out to monochrome or greyscale towards the edges of the work. It is my attempt to show the cadences of this particular musical passage. The work is on Fabriano 5 paper at 300 grammes per square metre (gsm) weight and 50 x 35 cms.


3 comments:

Fried Egg Sandwich said...

It is good to see you blogging again. Yes Facebook has its place, but you definitely have more scope for descriptive writing on the blog. Things are less random in their presentation than on Facebook feeds ��

ericleo said...

Found you at last Norman. There is a lot to take in here: I'll be back!

The Draughtsman said...

You're welcome erik. I look forward to your comments.