Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Sketchbook Items (1)


If I may move away from the "music themed" work for a while I'll post some items from my much-used sketchbook. One idea I'm looking at is the Saxon Writing, "The Dream of the Rood" by an unknown author but has an archaic English translation.   What is shown  is a concept of a chancel arch based on the one in Jarrow. There is a similar church in Sunderland. Both have connections to the Venerable Bede, a famous 7th. century monk. Whether or not Bede was involved with the poem is uncertain.
Archaeological evidence elsewhere suggests Saxon roods were stone affairs built in to the very structure of the building unlike their mediaeval wooden counterparts. A "rood" is a form of the Christian's cross.
This image is an exploration of the above idea incorporating verses from the "Dream".
The verse I've put into the sketch is shown below.

The choicest vision I do tell
Which came as a midnight dream
I saw a wondrous tree
Borne aloft - wound with light
The brightest of beams.
All was that beacon sprinkled with gold.....
..... All beheld the angel of God
Fair through pre-destiny.
[This] was no malefactor's gallows,
As holy souls beheld it.
I saw the Glory Tree....

Full text etchere.

No comments: