Wednesday, November 19, 2008


The Orestian Triptych
If you've been following this blog for the last few days you will have been watching this project grow. Today I completed the Electra image so now the triptych is complete, - in its water-colour form. This is a preparatory work on paper, though in its way is complete in itself. The plan is to develop this into a larger painting. I had originally intended the panels to be six feet tall; pretty well life-size. But now I wonder, perhaps they would be better at four feet tall (120 cm). What is shown here is 24" (60 cm tall). I have done it this size so that scaling up shouldn't be too complicated.
Anyone out there got any thoughts? 120 cm ? 180 cm ?
There is another triptych planned to go with this one, the three protagonists; Clytemnestra, Aegisthus and Cassandra. Watch this space. I may be a week or two working on it.

2 comments:

david mcmahon said...

I'd love to see some updates on this, Norman.

I came here from Cath's Cradle. Yup, I have a bit of art in my background.

The Draughtsman said...

I have just finished the small gouache works on the other three. I'll post them as soom as I can get the photos uploaded.