Friday, November 28, 2008



As this site is called The Draughtsman I suppose I should put in some evidence of pure line drawing to support the paintings in the last two posts.

These six images are reference tracings taken from the original drawings. I made drawings intitially to work out just where things go as it were but then needed to overpaint them to see how it all works out. But before proceeding to the painting stage I made these tracings. Being on tracing paper and drawn to scale in relation to the planned finished work, I can, if need be, project this onto the canvas via an overhead projector. Purists may regard that as cheating but there is strong evidence to suggest the old masters used optics extensively.

If you click on the image you should get a full size version.

To those photographers who look at this site from time to time, I suppose these tracings and to some extent drawings can be looked at in the same way as negatives. By that I mean photographers who still practise the dark[room] arts! (grins).

No comments: