Tuesday, January 01, 2008

An experiment with the Graphic Novel. I am putting together a graphic novel from a short fiction story I have written about a life model and a group of art students. It is simply an exploration of the form and I have no plans on publishing.
That said, the challenges of this format are interesting, arranging how the pictures should be displayed and how the story can be allowed to unfold. Another aspect of this is it requires me to make drawings of objects not normally within my ouevre, e.g. street scenes, close ups of hands etc. and objects such as cameras as shown here. Many of these things need to be drawn "from the life".
This project may take some time to complete as it is not intended as my mainstream work but a useful fill-in during fallow periods.

These images have been made from digital photographs of pencil drawings done on cartridge paper subsequently uploaded into vector format using CorelDraw. With this process the whiteness of the original drawings is lost making for a b&w photo effect. This is a sample page whose size is A4.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is an exciting new direction.

Why not publish? It doesn't have to be a periodical, even Felix Dennis has published the odd one off that he saw value in.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished book, it may even be a seller!