Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Not All Who Wander......



Not all who wander are lost. A line taken from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings referring to the the Rangers who drop in to the Inn of the Prancing Pony  from time to time. Something of a cross between a monk, a pilgrim and a wizard but this "wizard" is no Gandalf. I like the idea of these wanderers that  have no particular role except to hint at the main characters and the unfolding story.
This is the fourth picture of the set posted earlier. It too is on a sheet of A4, 200 gsm cartridge paper and is so far unfinished, - a work in progress. The main drawing  and painterly components are complete and there only remains the drawing in of finer detail. I'll be back at my studio to finish it in a few days time.



The initial study that sets out the idea. A postcard-sized pencil sketch with a 0.7mm micro pencil. The idea has been a long time in coming since I first conceived of it whilst taking a walk from Ambleside in the English Lake District up to High Sweden Bridge. I remember it was  a winter's day in the off season, - consequently very few tourists to interrupt my reverie.

No comments: