Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Henry Moore did a series of "helmet" forms at one point. Elizabeth Frink did a series of "goggle heads", figures of sunshade bedecked heads. In developing a body of sculptural works I have hit on the idea of doing some female heads in headscarves or shawls. I am exploring how these items can hide/reveal the wearer as well as looking at their aesthetic value.
Moore's helmet forms had the warrior's face half hidden in the helmet. Picasso produced something similar from time to time. Frink's sunspectacled heads did the same. The shades hid the eyes but revealed something else. I think my covered female heads will do the same thing.

1 comment:

Thumbelina said...

This sketch is really really good. It is the best sketch of a human face that I have seen of yours.It really is good. I would buy that. It's nice.
The features are all in proportion and it is extremely lifelike. Do more like this!