Sunday, January 28, 2007

My eight year old grand-daughter paid us a visit over the week end (along with Mum and Dad I hasten to add). This morning, Sunday, as we walked through the park, she announced she would like to be a fashion designer. At the moment she is very keen on ballet and has attended classes for some time now. However, at the end of the walk, when we got back to my place she sat down with some photocopy paper, borrowed a few graphite sticks [HB, 4B and 9B} and produced the above image. What is remarkable is she was using this media for the first time.


Afterwards, I demonstated colour mixing and she produced this face image using water colour which I believe is also first time. She told me she has poster [tempera] colour at home.
She worked with a resricted pallette; Prussian Blue, Viridian, Red Oxide and Yellow Ochre.
It'll be interesting to see how she develops in a year or so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandad, I love my pictures. I would not have been able to do them without your help.

Nathan D Kerpan said...

I just found your posting through doing a search in google of (my eight year olds drawings) and was delighted to find your post. I was looking over her art work and find it delightful. I am a proud Father of four who range are 10, 8, 2, and 1. My eight year old son and I are perfecting a project named young authors for his third grade class. While his spelling could use some work his creativity and imagination are splendid.

Thank you for sharing this info with us and as always I am delighted to meet a fellow parent / grandparent.